The current search widgets & behaviour in the gtk app is quite unsatisfying.
What it does now :
- provide a Find field for content searches (a la grep), with a 'Find next' button (but no 'Find previous') ...
- which also matches file names (unlike grep)
- which does not visually mark the matching revs (you basically have to select a recent-enough rev and click on 'Find next' 'till it clicks for you)
- provides a Files field for file name searches (a la find), with an 'Apply' button (no 'Find next/previous' ...)
- which, when clicked, filters all visible revs, so that only the matching revs are shown, thus :
- breaking the graph
- hiding surrounding revs
What should be is the following :
- a 'Find in content' (or 'grep' ? for unixophiles) field
- a 'Find in file names' (or 'find' ? for the same) field
- a couple of Find next/Find prev buttons (one couple for both fields)
- when any criterion matches, all the matching revs are marked with some visual clue (a yellow dot near the id, something not too intrusive and easy to spot)
- both fields are ANDed
- revs are NEVER hidden, and the graph is ALWAYS shown and clean