System: Ubuntu 12.04
hgview: cset faf552d2ac6c
I was attempting to install hgview from source, but didn't have the PyQT development packages installed. Here's what happened:
1. I got a "No such file or directory" error message, but with no indication as to which file or directory it was referring to
2. setup.py kept going; the build and the following "install" steps appeared to finish successfully
3. but trying to run hgview then complained about pyrcc4 being missing
Once I had installed Ubuntu packages python-qt4-dev and pyqt4-dev-tools, the error message went away.
N.B.: Running the failing build under strace shows that the error message is in fact complaining that pyrcc4 can't be found.
The bugs I'm reporting:
It's perfectly reasonable for the build to complain if a tool is missing. But:
1. it would be helpful if it told me *what* was missing
2. pyrcc4 is a necessary step, so if it fails, that should cause the entire build to fail
Here's what the output looks like (narrowed down to the relevant build target):
$ python setup.py build_qt
compiling hgviewlib/qt4/hgqv.qrc -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/hgviewlib/qt4/hgqv_rc.py
[Error] '[Errno 2] No such file or directory'
compiling hgviewlib/qt4/fileviewer.ui -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/hgviewlib/qt4/fileviewer_ui.py
compiling hgviewlib/qt4/helpviewer.ui -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/hgviewlib/qt4/helpviewer_ui.py
compiling hgviewlib/qt4/hgqv.ui -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/hgviewlib/qt4/hgqv_ui.py
compiling hgviewlib/qt4/filediffviewer.ui -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/hgviewlib/qt4/filediffviewer_ui.py
compiling hgviewlib/qt4/manifestviewer.ui -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/hgviewlib/qt4/manifestviewer_ui.py