Today was the first day of the Pylint sprint we organized using Pylint's 10th years anniversary as an excuse.
So I (Sylvain) have welcome my fellow Logilab friends David, Anthony and Julien as well as Torsten from Google into Logilab's new Toulouse office.
After a bit of presentation and talk about Pylint development, we decided to keep discussion for lunch and dinner and to setup priorities. We ended with the following tasks (picks from the pad at http://piratepad.net/oAvsUoGCAC):
- rename astng to move it outside the logilab package,
- Torsten gpylint (Google Pylint) patches review, as much as possible (but not all of them, starting by a review of the numberous internal checks Google has, seeing one by one which one should be backported upstream),
- setuptools namespace package support (https://www.logilab.org/8796),
- python 3.3 support,
- enhance astroid (former astng) API to allow more ad-hoc customization for a better grasp of magic occuring in e.g. web frameworks (protocol buffer or SQLAlchemy may also be an application of this).
Regarding the astng renaming, we decided to move on with astroid as pointed out by the survey on StellarSurvey.com
In the afternoon, David and Julien tackled this, while Torsten was extracting patches from Google code and sending them to bitbucket as pulll request, Sylvain embrassing setuptools namespaces packages and Anthony discovering the code to spread the @check_message decorator usage.
By the end of the day:
- David and Julien submitted patches to rename logilab.astng which were quickly integrated and now https://bitbucket.org/logilab/astroid should be used instead of https://bitbucket.org/logilab/astng
- Torsten submitted 5 pull-requests with code extracted from gpylint, we reviewed them together and then Torsten used evolve to properly insert those in the pylint history once review comments were integrated
- Sylvain submitted 2 patches on logilab-common to support both setuptools namespace packages and pkgutil.extend_path (but not bare __path__ manipulation
- Anthony discovered various checkers and started adding proper @check_messages on visit methods
After doing some review all together, we even had some time to take a look at Python 3.3 support while writing this summary.
Hopefuly, our work on forthcoming days will be as efficient as on this first day!