Blog entries april 2014 
Once again, a lot of work has been achieved since the latest 1.1
release. Claudiu, who joined the maintainer team (Torsten and me) did a
great work in the past few months. Also lately Torsten has backported a lot of
things from their internal G[oogle]Pylint. Last but not least, various people contributed by
reporting issues and proposing pull requests. So thanks to everybody!
Notice Pylint 1.2 depends on astroid 1.1 which has been released at the same
time. Currently, code is available on Pypi, and Debian/Ubuntu packages should be ready shortly on Logilab's acceptance repositories.
Below is the changes summary, check the changelog for more info.
New and improved checks:
- New message 'eval-used' checking that the builtin function eval was used.
- New message 'bad-reversed-sequence' checking that the reversed
builtin receive a sequence (i.e. something that implements __getitem__ and __len__, without being
a dict or a dict subclass) or an instance which implements __reversed__.
- New message 'bad-exception-context' checking that raise ... from ... uses a proper exception context (None or an exception).
- New message 'abstract-class-instantiated' warning when abstract classes created with abc module and with abstract methods are instantied.
- New messages checking for proper class __slots__: 'invalid-slots-object' and 'invalid-slots'.
- New message 'undefined-all-variable' if a package's __all__ variable contains a missing submodule (#126).
- New option logging-modules giving the list of module names that can be checked for 'logging-not-lazy'.
- New option include-naming-hint to show a naming hint for invalid name (#138).
- Mark file as a bad function when using python2 (#8).
- Add support for enforcing multiple, but consistent name styles for different
name types inside a single module.
- Warn about empty docstrings on overridden methods.
- Inspect arguments given to constructor calls, and emit relevant warnings.
- Extend the number of cases in which logging calls are detected (#182).
- Enhance the check for 'used-before-assignment' to look for nonlocal uses.
- Improve cyclic import detection in the case of packages.
- Do not warn about 'return-arg-in-generator' in Python 3.3+.
- Do not warn about 'abstract-method' when the abstract method is implemented through assignment (#155).
- Do not register most of the 'newstyle' checker warnings with python >= 3.
- Fix 'unused-import' false positive with augment assignment (#78).
- Fix 'access-member-before-definition' false negative with augment assign (#164).
- Do not crash when looking for 'used-before-assignment' in context manager assignments (#128).
- Do not attempt to analyze non python file, eg '.so' file (#122).
- Pass the current python path to pylint process when invoked via epylint (#133).
- Add -i / --include-ids and -s / --symbols back as completely ignored options (#180).
- Ensure init-hooks is evaluated before other options, notably load-plugins (#166).
- Improve pragma handling to not detect 'pylint:*' strings in non-comments (#79).
- Do not crash with UnknownMessage if an unknown message identifier/name appears in
disable or enable in the configuration (#170).
- Search for rc file in ~/.config/pylintrc if ~/.pylintrc doesn't exists (#121).
- Python 2.5 support restored (#50 and #62).
- Python 3.4 support
- Enhanced support for metaclass
- Enhanced namedtuple support
Nice easter egg, no?